window

Updated on 6th April 2017 in Planning Appeals
2 on 11th October 2015

Hi,

I was given planning permission for a two storey extension in 2011 with a condition that a rear window in the 1st floor of the extension should be obscure glass and that this should not been negated by opening.

The building regs chap checked to see if it opened when he did an assessment but I didn’t want to say anything at then time because I was advised by the architect not to rock the boat (there had been an objection from the neighbour to the rear).

My question is whether not this is enforceable?  Does there need to be an egress (given that this is the only standard window in the room aside from a velux in the roof)?

Thanks
J

• Liked by
0 on 7th February 2017

Hello J,

In answer to your question, it is enforceable as you will need an egress window on your extension. On new build homes an egress is required in every room used for sleeping purposes on any floor or basement. If you have any further questions please contact me on alext@drawingandplanning.com

Kind Regards,

Alex T

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 6th April 2017

Hi,

I have a smiliar issue. I have been given planning permission for a single story rear extension  at lower ground floor with a clear glass lantern on top, plus adding windows on the ground floor level in the existing structure. However the permission was granted on the condition that one of the newly added windows at the ground floor level (the one facing the neighbour who objected) be obscure glass. I am quite happy for htis window to be non openable but I do not want to use obscure glass because it defeats the whole purpose of putting in windows at all. What can I do about this? It also seems particularly unfair because just a few houses up the road someone has recently (3 months ago) concluded a development in which they have added windows at the ground floor level with clear glass!

Thanks
P

• Liked by
Cancel