Lambeth dwelling use query?

Updated on 7th February 2017 in Use Classes
1 on 12th September 2016

I’d welcome some advice on the following scenario…

I am in the process of buying a property in the Borough of Lambeth. The property is currently held on a single Title with land registry. However the building has been let and laid out as two flats for the last 20 years, in fact one of the Tenants was the Council. Each flat has a separate meter and Council Tax. I have a statutory declaration to this end, plus rent statements etc.

The building is in complete disrepair and needs to be refurbished throughout. Does the property require a certificate of lawfulness or planning to refurbish as either two flats or a single dwelling. No external modifications will be done, all works are internal.

I’ve spoken to the Planning department who don’t feel planning is required. It clearly needs building regulations to install kitchens and electrics. I understand from the VOA that once the property has been regularised by building control they will be notified if there is any change to the number of dwellings so that a tax banding can be re associated to the property.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

  • Liked by
0 on 7th February 2017

Hello Will,

It is not possible to determine the feasibility without knowing the address of the property, however, typically you do not need planning permission if the internal remodelling doesn’t extend the overall footprint of the dwelling, for any external changes you must have planning permission. For peace of mind it is advised you apply for a Lawful Development Certificate before any refurbishment is underway. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly at

Kind Regards,

Alex T

  • Liked by